Tips to help get your child to sleep
I was talking to a distressed mother. Her 5 year old has terrible trouble sleeping at night. With the support of some of our wonderful friends on Facebook, I have put together some quick tips to help parents who struggle getting their children to sleep.
- Reduce their sugar content especially in the late afternoon and early evening.
- Turn off the TV, computers and electronic games at least 2 hours before bedtime.
- Develop a regular relaxation routine which you stick to.
- Have a lavender bath half an hour before bedtime.
- Give them a massage. ¬†You could try drawing specs gently on their face – around the eyes, eyebrows, over the nose and around the back of the ears. ¬†You could also try circling their palm with your thumb.
- You could say that they will have a surprise waiting for them when they wake up or have a sticker chart and give them a sticker next morning.
- Read magical stories which encourage their imagination as well as put on a Relax Kids CD such as Superheroes or Princesses CD.
If you have any other suggestions, please do feel free to add them.